Definition of Gantry
gan·try (gan′trē) noun
- (RocketTheme) A framework used for assembling, building and maintaining a RocketTheme template
Overview of Gantry
Gantry is a sophisticated Joomla template framework with the sole intention of being the best platform to build a solid template with. Gantry takes all the lessons learned during the development of many RocketTheme templates and distills that knowledge into a single super-flexible framework that is easy to configure, simple to extend, and powerful enough to handle anything we want to throw at it.
Documentation: Learn more about the Gantry Framework
We have provided a series of Blog Posts on the main RocketTheme site, describing in much greater detail than the basic overview on this page, the details of the Gantry Framework, providing a more in depth insight.
We strongly recommend reading these entries to gain a reasoned understanding of Gantry
The Gantry framework is packed with many great features that enable the rapid development of feature-rich designs with a minimum amount of effort. We've also gone to great lengths to enhance the standard Joomla administration user interface to make configuring a Gantry-powered template easier than ever before. Check out a sampling of the features Gantry brings to the table:
- 960 Grid System (http://960.gs) for simple consistent layout
- Cleaner more understandable index.php. All the complicated bits are handled for you in the Gantry core.
- Flexibility to configure up to 6 modules in row position.
- 65 base module positions in the Gantry core. These can be easily extended to add more
- 36 possible combinations for the layout of the mainbody/sidebars alone!
- Flexibility to configure different grid-size layouts based on number of published modules. You are not forced to use the same grid layout for every page
- 12 built-in Gantry Features like Logo, font-sizer, to-top smooth slider. Easily create your own to add more functionality with little coding required.
- Ability to force module display and 'blank' module positions for advanced module placement ability.
- Stunning new Admin interface providing better usability and control.
- Unique Layout controls allow you to configure your layout without having to do math or ever create a 'broken' layout.
- Layout controls provide visual representation of your front-end layout for simple and intuitive customization.
- Gantry is XML driven, adding another row of completely flexible module positions is as simple as editing one XML file.
- New flexible parameter system allows loading preset theme attributes and modifying for a custom design. Also support session and cookie level overriding for development.
- All new table-less HTML overrides based on the excellent GNU/GPLv2 overrides from YOOtheme
- New standard typography and Joomla core elements styling
- New advanced caching system makes using Gantry really fast!
- All configuration state is stored in params.ini and cached for speed.
- Optimized codebase with speed, size, and reuse core tenants of the framework design
Overview of the Administrator Interface
The administrative interface for Gantry is one of, if not the, most extensive and intuitive Joomla administrators in the community as a whole today. Gantry takes the template parameter ability of Joomla and takes it to the next level with a robust, diverse, functional and overall, substantial array of options to control, essentially, all aspects of the template.
Below is an overview of the main areas: Presets, Settings, Features, Menu, Layouts and Advanced.
This area is a basic, sliding showcase panel with previews of all the inbuilt preset styles that accompany the template. Simply click on one of them to load them as the default style on your site, and also to activate the settings for that particular style.
These vary based on which Preset Style you selected in the previous section. You can control the stylistic features of the theme in this area, such as link colour, font size or background level.
This section controls the template specific features such as the font-sizer or IE6 warning. You can disable the various features or configure them to your own personal preferences, such as the date format for example.
This parameter group is the most revolutionary as it offers a diagrammatic interface on how to configure the various positions. This is best illustrated at the Template Parameters section of the Gantry Layout Overview.
This selection is compiled of more advanced options such as gantry caching, allowing for even more control.